Saturdays are for baking.
Especially when it’s cold and windy out, a cosy apartment is the perfect setting to warm up the oven and create something delicious. Last Saturday I tried out a chocolate and hazelnut loaf. I have made this recipe before, but without the hazelnuts. As the clouds rolled in and the sky got darker, my kitchen came to life.
- 115g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 284ml buttermilk
- 220g GF self-raising flour
- 45g cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100g plain chocolate chips
- 50g chopped hazelnuts (plus a little to sprinkle on top)
- Preheat the oven to 175C and grease a loaf tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the buttermilk.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and xanthan gum and stir into the buttermilk mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and chopped hazelnuts.
- Pour into the loaf tin, sprinkle with a few chopped hazelnuts on top and bake for 45 mins.