Not the best photo under a striplight in our kitchen, but they were red – promise! A Valentines dessert for my wonderful husband and our two lovely friends who came over last night. The empty plates at the end of dinner suggested they went down pretty well!
Serves 4 with 2 pancakes each (it’s pretty rich so 2 pancakes is perfect for dessert!)
- 130g GF self-raising flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 180ml buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp red food colouring
- 120g cream cheese
- 195g icing sugar
- 60g cream cheese
- 150ml thick double cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Slice cream cheese lengthwise into long thing pieces, wrap and freeze for one hour.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa powder.
- Gently whisk together the egg, buttermilk, vanilla, red food colouring and butter.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well. Mix until well incorporated.
- Remove cream cheese from the freezer, cut into 1/2 inch pieces and stir into the batter.
- Heat a pancake pan or heat some oil in a frying pan and pour 1 tbsp of batter in for c.3 minutes until the top begins to bubble and the pancake cake slide easily on the pan. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
- While the pancakes are cooking, whisk all the icing ingredients together and heat over a low heat.
- Drizzle icing over the pancakes and enjoy!